Literature Assessment


Victoria Provost
Literature Assessment

1)    What is your reaction to the text you just read?

Reading “Batman: The Killing Joke” by Alan Moore is a comic series I found typical of the DC/Batman universe because it is a dark environment and a dark story. The story clues into the origin story of the Joker and we get to see how he became the Joker to some degree. The story allows us to have some sympathy towards Joker who has lost his wife and was put in a situation he did not want to be a part of anymore but he had no other options. Joker still went with the men to the factory and ended up in a situation that made him the way he is. The text was not surprising to me but it did allow me to connect more with the Joker character as a man who had lost his wife and put into a bad situation that makes him a relatable character.

2)    What connections did you make with the story? Discuss the elements of the story with which you were able to connect

Making a connection in this type of work is difficult but one element I did connect with is the aspect of having different events lead and effect to our current persona. Although not as extreme as Joker’s storyline, I have had some unfortunate and struggling moments in my life that have to lead me to where I am and who I identify as similar to Joker who had to struggle to provide for his family and ends up a completely different person. The events in my life had to lead me on a path that brought me and made me who I am and who I identify as. I have my personality and my identity but I have struggled in the past to find the true person I am. With characters like Joker and Batman they have found their persona and who they chose to be.

3)    What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?

I think an interesting adaptation of this story would be to make it into some sort of rollercoaster or ride at an amusement park. I think doing this type of idea would be interesting since the use of the amusement park is used in the story. Some changes that would need to be made would be the order of the story because there are a lot of flashback moments that I feel would need to be told in the beginning and then the main story would be included after. I think the idea of a ride would be interesting because the story is also full of emotional moments that act similar to a rollercoaster taking dips and uphill climbs. If the idea of the rollercoaster or ride was used there would be an age restriction because of the imagery used or there would have to be the more violent and sexual aspects taken out of the story to be used in the ride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #9: A wide world of Comics

Blog Post #6: Underground Comics

Blog Post #14: The Future of Comics